Re: [HACKERS] PoC: custom signal handler for extensions

From: Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz, Maksim Milyutin <milyutinma(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PoC: custom signal handler for extensions
Date: 2022-09-02 05:06:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/12/18 20:51, Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>> In perspective, this mechanism provides the low-level instrument to
>> define remote procedure call on extension side. The simple RPC that
>> defines effective userid on remote backend (remote_effective_user
>> function) is attached for example.
> 7) Suppose, API allows to use different handlers in different processes
> for the same reason, it's could be reason of confusion. I suggest to
> restrict Register/Unregister call only for shared_preload_library, ie
> only during startup.
+1

> 8) I'd like to see an example of usage this API somewhere in contrib in
> exsting modules. Ideas?
I imagine, auto_explain could demonstrate usage of the API by
implementing logging of current query state, triggered by a signal. Most
of necessary code is already existed there.
Of course, this option will be enabled if auto_explain loads on startup.
But, maybe it breaks main concept of the auto_explain extension?

--
Regards
Andrey Lepikhov