RE: OID/XID allocation (was Re: is PG able to handle a >500 GB Da tabase?)

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: OID/XID allocation (was Re: is PG able to handle a >500 GB Da tabase?)
Date: 2001-01-23 00:44:04
Lists: pgsql-general

> Added to TODO:
>
> * Move OID retrieval into shared memory to prevent lose of
> unused oids

Already implemented. But - up to 8192 oids may be lost in the event
of crash (ie without normal database shutdown when last fetched oid
is logged to WAL).

> Also, currently the oid can _not_ be used to determine the order rows
> were inserted because one backend can grab its block of 50 and another
> backend can start and insert a row first.

Backends don't grab block of oids anymore.

> If we could change this with litle risk, it would be nice to have in
> 7.1, but I am sure someone will object. :-)

Too late to object -:))
I had to make this changes for WAL. BTW, pg_variable is not used anymore
but still in schema - have to remove it someday.

Vadim