Re: Per database users/admins, handy for database virtual hosting...

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Per database users/admins, handy for database virtual hosting...
Date: 2004-03-26 04:24:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> You can't think that allowing the same name to appear
> globally and locally is a good idea.

Actually, I do think it is a good idea.

> If I say "GRANT TO foo", who am
> I granting privileges to?

SET username_precedence TO LOCAL,GLOBAL; -- I like GLOBAL more than
CLUSTER
GRANT TO foo;
SET username_precedence TO GLOBAL,LOCAL;
GRANT TO foo;

> And I don't want to say that there is no
> difference because they are the same user.

Agreed, they should be the same user.

> That will open up some nasty
> security holes, eg, being able to pretend that you are the global
> postgres superuser if you can set the password for a local user by the
> same name.

Agreed, but if a cluster is using LOCAL USERs, I doubt highly that
CLUSTER/GLOBAL users would be in use much beyond super users. -sc

--
Sean Chittenden