Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extend framework from commit 53be0b1ad to report latch waits.

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Extend framework from commit 53be0b1ad to report latch waits.
Date: 2016-10-14 04:23:57
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 10/12/16 7:38 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> We generally don't build test code during make world.
> FWIW, I find that quite annoying. I want to run make world with parallelism so
> I can run make world afterwards with as little unnecessary
> unparallelized work. And since the latter takes just about forever, any
> errors visible earlier are good.
>
> What are we gaining by this behaviour?

Well, the purpose of make all or make world is to build the things that
are to be installed by make install or make install-world, which is the
stuff that users want to use. The purpose is not necessarily to build
stuff for the amusement of developers. Remember that we used to have
some dusty corners under src/test/, so "build everything no matter what"
is/was not a clearly better strategy. Also, some test code used to take
a relatively long time to build, which led to some level of annoyance.

It might be worth reviewing this approach, but that's what it is.