Re: Add A Glossary

From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Roger Harkavy <rogerharkavy(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add A Glossary
Date: 2020-03-20 22:32:17
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

man pages: Sorry, if I confused someone with my poor English. I just
want to express in my 'offline' mail that we don't have to worry about
man page generation. The patch doesn't affect files in the /ref
subdirectory from where man pages are created.

review process: Yes, it will be time-consumptive and it may be a hard
job because of a) the patch has multiple authors with divergent writing
styles and b) the terms affect different fundamental issues: SQL basics
and PG basics. Concerning PG basics in the past we used a wide range of
similar terms with different meanings as well as different terms for the
same matter - within our documentation as well as in secondary
publications. The terms "backend server" / "instance" are such an
example and there shall be a clear decision in favor of one of the two.
Presumably we will see more discussions about the question which one is
the preferred term (remember the discussion concerning the terms
master/slave, primary/secondary some weeks ago).

ongoing: Intermediate questions for clarifications are welcome.

Kind regards, Jürgen