Re: pg_upgrade tests vs alter generic changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade tests vs alter generic changes
Date: 2012-09-29 15:49:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The recent alter generic tests have broken pg_upgrade testing on Windows
> and probably other non-collation-supporting platforms.

Is it still broken after Alvaro added the alternate expected file, and
if so why? I don't see a reason that this should be failing only there.
I also note that it seems to be passing fine on buildfarm members other
than pitta.

> This can be cured
> by making the pg_upgrade test set up its test installs with "initdb
> --no-locale." as shown below (with similar changes for the MSVC build
> system also being needed)

That seems like a kluge, not a solution. There's no reason I can see
why pg_upgrade's repeat of the regression tests should be more sensitive
to locale environment than the main run is.