Re: setQueryTimeout

From: Guillaume Cottenceau <gc(at)mnc(dot)ch>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: setQueryTimeout
Date: 2008-01-14 16:56:09
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka <books 'at' ejurka.com> writes:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
>
>> Would "throw new UnsupportedOperationException()" be good to tell
>> that fact to the users of the driver more directly?
>>

> That's unknown. It's unclear how many applications might be calling
> setQueryTimeout and not be prepared for an exception. So while
> they're slightly broken now, they could be completely broken with this
> change. If people feel strongly about it we could consider making the
> change in the 8.3dev driver, but I wouldn't backpatch it.

Personnally, I think that developers will most likely expect the
behaviour to be correct if nothing bad (exception) happens.. I'd
say that all unsupported API should throw an appropriate
exception. Doing the change in 8.3dev makes perfect sense to not
break current users, and developers would be crazy to drop in the
8.3 in the future without testing their application again. /me
votes really in favor of that :)

--
Guillaume Cottenceau, MNC Mobile News Channel SA, an Alcatel-Lucent Company
Av. de la Gare 10, 1003 Lausanne, Switzerland - direct +41 21 317 50 36