Re: Unicode support

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com (Gregory Stark), pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode support
Date: 2009-04-14 04:07:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> I don't believe that the standard forbids the use of combining
>>> chars at all. RFC 3629 says:
>>>
>>> ... This issue is amenable to solutions based on Unicode
>>> Normalization Forms, see [UAX15].

Gregory> This is the relevant part. Tom was claiming that the UTF8
Gregory> encoding required normalizing the string of unicode
Gregory> codepoints before encoding. I'm not sure that's true though,
Gregory> is it?

FWIW, the SQL spec puts the onus of normalization squarely on the
application; the database is allowed to assume that Unicode strings
are already normalized, is allowed to behave in implementation-defined
ways when presented with strings that aren't normalized, and provision
of normalization functions and predicates is just another optional
feature.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)