Many-to-one subquery

From: Martin Christensen <factotum(at)mail1(dot)stofanet(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Many-to-one subquery
Date: 2000-08-16 12:47:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a problem that I have not been able to solve efficiently, and
I'm confident that it can be done in a single query.

I have a mailing list archive that I want to do some statistics on. It
would tremendously ease my work if I could extract such statistics for
each individual poster in one go. That would, of course, be quite
easy, if I could do a SELECT DISTINCT poster FROM maillist as a
subquery and use that as an argument. For instance, if I have a
function postpct(date, date, varchar(30)) that calculates the
percentage of posts that a certain poster ($3) is responsible in a
certain time interval ($1 to $2), then how do I go about feeding that
function all distinct poster entries? I've tried different things with
joins, but the bit that actually worked was horribly inefficient.

Martin

--
GPG public key: http://home1.stofanet.dk/factotum/gpgkey.txt