Re: postgres in realtime mode

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres in realtime mode
Date: 2006-06-30 03:26:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when quick(dot)nitin(at)gmail(dot)com ("nitin quick") would write:
> by realtime i mean predictivity of query response time. I do agree
> it may vary transacion to transaction but there may be some time
> factor which i can say i will get response in so many
> millseconds. This idea of mine is very naive. If i am conceptually
> wrong please correct me or if you can guide me in this matter i will
> appreaciate the effort. regards quick nitin

Conceptually, you're right about what real time means; it's all about
seeking guarantees about worst-time performance that they will not
exceed some pre-defined thresholds.

With a relational database, you're requesting a declarative and
decidedly non-deterministic approach to things, and it doesn't seem
reasonable for that to be compatible with hard RT requirements on
worst-time performance.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/finances.html