Re: BUG #5567: will not install

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5567: will not install
Date: 2010-07-22 17:21:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

kanyuh(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com ("Denise Kanyuh") writes:

> Bug reference: 5567
> Logged by: Denise Kanyuh
> Email address: kanyuh(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.15
> Operating system: AIX 7.1
> Details:
>
> When trying to test our product which incorporates postgress on the newest
> release of AIX we get this error -- will AIX 7.1 be supported on any release
> of postgres?

A significant portion of the problem likely relates to using a mighty
ancient version of PostgreSQL. Version 8.0 was effectively obsolesced
by 8.1 in 2005, some five years ago.

That's pretty relevant in two ways you should be concerned about:
1. Version 8.0 has been declared officially obsolete
<http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy>
Issues with 8.0 are exceedingly unlikely to get fixed.

2. PostgreSQL Version 8.1 was the first version where AIX became
sufficiently supported to allow it to be tested on a regular
basis on the PostgreSQL Build Farm.
http://pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl

There were material changes to the build process introduced in
version 8.1 to allow substantially all parts of PostgreSQL
including contrib modules to compile and run on AIX.

I would not recommend wasting *any* time trying to rectify issues with a
five-year-old version of PostgreSQL; you should test the build process
with a version of PostgreSQL that is still supported.
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
"Heuristics (from the French heure, "hour") limit the amount of time