Re: Proposed patch for 8.3 VACUUM FULL crash

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposed patch for 8.3 VACUUM FULL crash
Date: 2008-02-11 21:29:15
Lists: pgsql-patches

> On investigation the problem occurs because we changed vacuum.c's
> PageGetFreeSpaceWithFillFactor() to use PageGetHeapFreeSpace()
> instead of just computing pd_upper - pd_lower as it had done in
> every previous release. This was *not* a good idea: VACUUM FULL
> does its own accounting for line pointers and does not need "help".

Fwiw this change appears to have crept in when the patch was merged.
Ironically while most of us have been complaining about patches not being
widely visible and tested outside of CVS in this case we perhaps suffered from
the opposite problem. The patch was fairly heavily tested on this end before
it was posted and I'm not sure those tests have been repeated since the merge.

--
Gregory Stark