Re: regression results for AIX 4.2

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: regression results for AIX 4.2
Date: 2006-03-20 13:56:32
Lists: pgsql-ports

Quoth multix(at)gmail(dot)com ("Riccardo Mottola"):
> Hey guys,
>
> after manually patching my float.h compilation on aix continued up to
> the end. I run a "make check" and I see quite some failures! I don't
> think it is safe to install and use th db this way? Do you want
> further details to investigate some of these problems ?

I'd fully expect there to be some horology problems falling out of the
recent modifications made to when daylight savings time will begin in
2007.

But the sheer volume of "most of the tests failed" wouldn't give me
much confidence.

If you could account for all of the differences representing minor
rounding errors or the like where the results could reasonably be a
*little* different, that would be one thing.

But it looks as though the postmaster fell over at about the point of
the "test copy" test, and that everything failed from then on. That
would cause me a lot of concern.

It's worth observing that AIX 4.2 is Really Rather Old... On 5.1 and
5.3, the only failures we'd expect to see are with horology, where the
results vary by patchlevel based on whether or not AIX has gotten
patched to be aware of timezone policy changes...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html