Re: ADD/DROP INHERITS

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ADD/DROP INHERITS
Date: 2006-06-08 15:19:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Greg Stark wrote:
> >
> > I can't find any standard api to remove a single specific dependency. It seems
> > normally dependencies are only removed when dropping objects via
> > performDeletion.
>
> Huh, and can't you just drop an inheritance entry with performDeletion?
> Maybe what you should do is add support for that to doDeletion (and all
> dependency stuff it seems ...)

Well I'm not actually deleting anything. The dependency is between the two
tables and I don't want to delete either of the tables.

Perhaps what should really be happening here is that there should be
dependencies from the pg_inherit entry to the two tables rather than from one
table to the other.

Then a simple performDeletion on the pg_inherit entry would take care of the
dependencies.

I'm not sure how many other changes that would entail though.

--
greg