Re: ADD/DROP INHERITS

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ADD/DROP INHERITS
Date: 2006-06-08 16:30:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark wrote:

> Well I'm not actually deleting anything. The dependency is between the two
> tables and I don't want to delete either of the tables.
>
> Perhaps what should really be happening here is that there should be
> dependencies from the pg_inherit entry to the two tables rather than from one
> table to the other.
>
> Then a simple performDeletion on the pg_inherit entry would take care of the
> dependencies.

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do ... If you drop the parent table,
does that cascade to the child table as well? Maybe what should happen
is that the child table is "disinherited".

I note that our documentation
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/sql-droptable.html
does not specify what happens.