Re: Ryu floating point output patch

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ryu floating point output patch
Date: 2018-12-13 20:53:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> This code in particular was very heavily into using mixed
>> declarations and code throughout. Removing those was moderately
>> painful.

Andres> I wonder if we should instead relax those restriction for the
Andres> largely foreign pieces of code?

Do we have any reason for the restriction beyond stylistic preference?

Andres> Right it should definitely be explained. But I do think
Andres> pointing at the source, would be good. I kind of wonder if we
Andres> should, if we were to accept something like this patch, clone
Andres> the original ryu repository to either git.pg.org, or at least
Andres> into pg's github repository? It'd be annoying if the original
Andres> authors moved on and deleted the repository.

Keeping a copy on git.pg.org seems like a reasonable thing to do.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)