Re: Ryu floating point output patch

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ryu floating point output patch
Date: 2018-12-13 20:32:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2018-12-13 20:23:51 +0000, Andrew Gierth wrote:

> >> From the upstream, I've taken only specific files which are
> >> Boost-licensed, removed code not of interest to us, removed
> >> C99-isms, applied project style for things like type names and use
> >> of INT64CONST, removed some ad-hoc configuration #ifs in favour of
> >> using values established by pg_config.h, and ran the whole thing
> >> through pgindent and fixed up the resulting wreckage.
>
> Andres> Removed C99isms? Why, we allow that these days? Did you mean
> Andres> C11?
>
> My understanding is that we do not allow // comments or mixed
> declarations and code (other than loop control variables).

Ah, that makes sense.

> This code in particular was very heavily into using mixed declarations
> and code throughout. Removing those was moderately painful.

I wonder if we should instead relax those restriction for the largely
foreign pieces of code?

> >> +/* These tables are generated by PrintDoubleLookupTable. */
>
> Andres> This kind of reference is essentially dangling now, so perhaps
> Andres> we should rewrite that?
>
> Well, it's probably still useful to point out that they're generated
> (though not by us); I guess it should make clear where the generator is.

Right it should definitely be explained. But I do think pointing at the
source, would be good. I kind of wonder if we should, if we were to
accept something like this patch, clone the original ryu repository to
either git.pg.org, or at least into pg's github repository? It'd be
annoying if the original authors moved on and deleted the repository.

Greetings,

Andres Freund