New Logo guidelines, usw.

From: Hal Snyder <hal(at)enteract(dot)com>
To: docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: New Logo guidelines, usw.
Date: 1999-01-10 07:06:24
Lists: pgsql-docs

As has already been suggested, to ask Vittoria to keep guessing at
what we might like, without giving her guidelines, is poor use of
everyone's time.

Here's another go at web site requirements. I plan to wait a couple
days for feedback from this group, then package some of this into a
reply to Vittoria.

Logo.

Should begin with a capital "P".

Setting off "SQL" in "PostgreSQL" is a good idea.

Should have 3-D feel, not flat.

Colors.
Avoid drab colors such as olive green, pea green, beige.
I personally favor a mix of gray, blue, white, and black.

Should stand out on a light background.

We need at least two forms of the logo:
large (about 450x90 pixels) for the main page
smaller (about 160x60 pixels) "Powered by PostgreSQL" - for advocacy

Color Scheme for Pages.

Background should be a light color.

Text, headings, separator lines, etc. should be black or in a color
compatible with the logo.

Page Layout.

A typical page should have:
navigation bar at left
body consisting of about 7 major items
information density like that of Gimp and FreeBSD home pages

A page should be able to fill any size browser window, 640x480 to
1600x1200.

Navigation.

Although there will be additional crosslinks, the general layout of
the site is a tree, with the home page at the top.

If a page has descendants, it should have a navigation bar on its
left. (I don't like navigation bars that are mostly the same from
one page to the next, for the same reason I don't like frames - they
reduce the amount of screen that can carry new information when
you follow a link.)

Pages other than the home page should have the equivalent of a
"Back" button as the top navbar item - it might be called "Main" or
"Home" or such but always takes viewer to the immediate parent of
the current page.

The navigation bar may show hints other than immediate descendants
and parent of the current page, if this isn't too cluttered (like
the navigation tube on the gimp site).

Gliding the mouse over items on the navigation bar should display
additional useful information about the underlying link.

Top-Level Site Map.

Main page
Body
Current Release