Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [HACKERS] CORBA STATUS

From: Bruce Stephens <bruce(at)cenderis(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [HACKERS] CORBA STATUS
Date: 1999-11-10 23:37:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

"Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:

> From the point of view of a package maintainer, I would much prefer
> a solution that separated the choice of Orb from the main build.
>
> If the choice goes into configure, I will have to pick a single Orb
> and build the Debian package for that, or else make packages for
> every Orb that Debian supports. It would be better if I could build
> a generic Orb-enabled PostgreSQL and produce a little pg-orb
> connection library for each Debian-supported Orb.

It probably makes sense to try to get things working with one ORB, and
then see if it's worth generalising. I'd guess ORBit is a good one to
start with since it's C-based, and it's pretty small: if I have to
install an extra package on my machine just to run PostgreSQL, I'm not
going to mind ORBit, whereas TAO might annoy me (IIRC, TAO is quite
big; I may be thinking of another ORB, though). ORBit does IIOP, I
believe, so that covers GNOME and KDE people.