Re: gBorg status?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: gBorg status?
Date: 2006-09-04 02:55:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

The world rejoiced as jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com ("Joshua D. Drake") wrote:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
>> Oops! jim(at)nasby(dot)net ("Jim C. Nasby") was seen spray-painting on a wall:

>>> Speaking of which, what's the status of the migration tools? Is that
>>> ball still in Larry's court?
>> Which migration tools? Were there migration tools specific to
>> gBorg->pgFoundry? Or something else?
>
> There was, kind of, sort of. AFAIK they are dead and gone and the
> current method of thought on Gborg is here:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-08/msg01167.php

That seems fine to me.

We already had a plan set up for Slony-I that was not too dissimilar.

To wit...
- There already is a project set up at pgFoundry, and fairly much
all committers at gBorg are members of the project at pgFoundry
- Downloads are being handled from pgFoundry
- We figured we'd migrate outstanding bugs to pgFoundry by hand
- We figured we'd migrate copies of old mailing list archives
- We figured we'd announce the deaths of old lists, and suggest
subscribing to the new ones
- We figured there would be some ability to copy CVS over fairly
losslessly

The *big* steps are moving email and CVS.

I really haven't yet heard a peep yet that hasn't been third-hand
about the gBorg outage, after it has been out for over a week now. To
say that's displeasing is something of an understatement. It
certainly leaves me in no mood to want to keep any services I care to
actually have running hosted on gBorg.

The fact that it has been out for a week, without any public comment
being made, certainly gives me pause. I *HOPE* that we can still
recover CVS and email.

Question about email: Do we need to migrate the old mailing list
archives before setting up new lists on pgFoundry? Or could I set up
a "slony1-discuss" at pgFoundry, fairly immediately, and migrate in
old archives later? [Possibly helpful factor: It's now September,
and the last gBorg traffic was dated in August, so we may not need to
mix months...]
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/x.html