Re: Logging query parmeters in auto_explain

From: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logging query parmeters in auto_explain
Date: 2022-06-28 09:12:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 12:27:57PM +0100, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
>> I forgot to mention, I also changed the order of the query and
>> parameters, so that they can more naturally be left out when no changes
>> are needed.
>
> I can see that, and I have added $node as an extra parameter of the
> routine. After putting my hands on that, it also felt a bit unnatural
> to do the refactoring of the tests and the addition of the new GUC in
> the same patch, so I have split things as the attached. The amount of
> coverage is still the same but it makes the integration of the feature
> easier to follow.

That makes sense, but I still think the query_log() function definition
should go at the end (after done_testing()), so the machinery doesn't
distract from what's actually being tested.

Also, the second paragraph of the second commit message now belongs in
the first commit (without the word "Also").

Thanks,
ilmari