Re: Last gasp

From: Alex <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Last gasp
Date: 2012-04-14 07:02:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On ons, 2012-04-11 at 23:30 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Now what would be sort of neat is if we had a way to keep all the
>> versions of patch X plus author and reviewer information, links to
>> reviews and discussion, etc. in some sort of centralized place.
>
> Well, a properly linked email thread contains all this. I have seen a
> couple of anti-patterns evolving, though, including patch authors
> starting a new email thread for each patch version, and reviewers
> starting a new email thread for each review. When that happens, the
> existence of the commitfest app makes things worse, in a way. (Of
> course, any discussion here about bug trackers emphasizes the need for
> email to be the primary communications method for this very reason.)

I didn't follow this whole thread, but have we considered Redmine[1]?

We at CMD rely on it as the primary means of customer communication, via
email. New email to a mailing list backed by Redmine triggers new
ticket creation and any followups result into an update to the ticket.
The ticket history is searchable, browsable (and updateable) on the web.

It's GPL-ed, uses Ruby on Rails, and comes with a broad range of
plugins[2]. Also it is quite hackable (for a RoR guy, of course.)

We could integrate Redmine with the CommitFest or even replace it
completely with a custom-written plugin. A command line interface[3]
exists, so 'cf close ###' suggested further in this thread should be
also possible.

--
Regards,
Alex