Re: functionality like Oracle's "connect by"

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: functionality like Oracle's "connect by"
Date: 2004-08-31 06:10:50
Lists: pgsql-general

"David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com> writes:

> The functionality I'm looking for is essentially the Oracle "connect
> by". Does anything like this exist for postgresql?

Yes. In the contrib directory of the source is a directory named "tablefunc".
If you've installed from an distribution you might like for a
postgresql-contrib package or something like that.

It has a function that tries to do what you want:

connectby(text relname, text keyid_fld, text parent_keyid_fld
[, text orderby_fld], text start_with, int max_depth
[, text branch_delim])
- returns keyid, parent_keyid, level, and an optional branch string
and an optional serial column for ordering siblings
- requires anonymous composite type syntax in the FROM clause. See
the instructions in the documentation below.

I've never tried it though.

--
greg