Re: BUG #5235: Segmentation fault under high load through JDBC

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Oleg Jurtšenko <oleg(dot)jurtsenko(at)fts(dot)ee>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5235: Segmentation fault under high load through JDBC
Date: 2009-12-09 15:56:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andrew> What are the definitions of your instr() and ad_parent_tree()
Andrew> functions?

Well, there's so much wrong with that ad_parent_tree function - it's
always going to recurse infinitely (with a new subxact per recursion
level, even) regardless of the data, and the only thing that will stop
it is when it throws an exception due to reaching the max stack depth
- and it then CATCHES that exception and returns.

Still, even though the code is preposterous, the result shouldn't be a
segfault. I wasn't able to reproduce one myself (using 8.3.7 on
freebsd 7.2) however.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)