Re: BUG #5235: Segmentation fault under high load through JDBC

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Oleg Jurtšenko <oleg(dot)jurtsenko(at)fts(dot)ee>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5235: Segmentation fault under high load through JDBC
Date: 2009-12-09 16:11:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk> writes:
> Still, even though the code is preposterous, the result shouldn't be a
> segfault. I wasn't able to reproduce one myself (using 8.3.7 on
> freebsd 7.2) however.

Yeah, for me it also recurses till the exception is hit, and then
processes that successfully. This is effectively identical to a case
in the standard regression tests, which also intentionally recurses
till stack overflow. Since we have FreeBSD machines in the buildfarm,
it is reasonably safe to conclude that this isn't a generic FreeBSD
bug. I suspect the OP has used some unusual configure/build option
or linked in some nonstandard code that is causing the available
stack space to change unexpectedly.