Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017: Foreign Key Arrays

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Mark Rofail <markm(dot)rofail(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Hans-Jürgen Schönig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017: Foreign Key Arrays
Date: 2018-04-10 13:47:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Mark,

On 3/26/18 4:50 PM, Mark Rofail wrote:
> On 3/7/18 5:43 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> I searched for the new GIN operator so that I
> could brush it up for commit ahead of the rest -- only to find out that
> it was eviscerated from the patch between v5 and v5.1.
>
> The latest version of the patch which contained the new GIN operator is
> version  `*Array-ELEMENT-foreign-key-v6.patch
> <https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/58007/Array-ELEMENT-foreign-key-v6.patch>*`
> which works fine and passed all the regression tests at the time
> (2018-01-21). We abandoned the GIN operator since it couldn't follow the
> same logic as the rest of GIN operators use since it operates on a Datum
> not an array. Not because of any error.
>
> just as Andreas said
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 1:52 AM, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se> wrote:
>
> The issue I see is that
> ginqueryarrayextract() needs to make a copy of the search key but to do
> so it needs to know the type of anyelement (to know if it needs to
> detoast, etc). But there is as far as I can tell no way to check the
> type of anyelement in this context.
>

> If there is any way to  obtain a copy of the datum I would be more than
> happy to integrate the GIN operator to the patch.

Since you have expressed a willingness to continue work on this patch I
have moved it to the next CF in Waiting on Author state.

You should produce a new version by then that addresses Alvaro's
concerns and I imagine that will require quite a bit of discussion and
work. Everyone is a bit fatigued at the moment so it would best to hold
off on that for a while.

Regards,
--
-David