PQexecParams not seeing params

From: Paul Forgey <paulf(at)aphrodite(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PQexecParams not seeing params
Date: 2006-06-28 00:29:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I am using the libpq client library from 8.1.4 in an application that
is intended to be compatible with databases hosted on both 7.4 and
8.1. At least when talking to a 7.4 server, the following statement:

res = PQexecParams (pgc, "FETCH 100 $1", 1, NULL, paramValues, NULL,
NULL, 1)

results in "syntax error at or near $1 at character 11".

The documentation says the parameters are referred to in the command
string as $n. Is this not always the case? What am I missing?

since PQexecParams was present in 7.4 I am assuming the server has
the sufficient protocol level to support it.