Re: pgAdmin/ODBC errors.

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Contejean, TiJana'" <tijana(dot)contejean(at)wcg(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin/ODBC errors.
Date: 2001-09-05 14:36:10
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I cannot help you with this any further. I don't run any of the ftp servers
and can only make suggestions. The mirror I mentioned is the UK Sunsite run
by Imperial College London on a seriously big Sun server and certainly
should have the required capacity to handle your download. I have just
double checked the URL and found the ODBC directories as expected.

> I now know, there is some problem with my
> ODBC Driver, but I have the Driver configured as PostgreSQL.
> It's supposedly trying to configure the PostgreSQL ODBC+
> Driver, and for some reason, it is unable. I will play with
> trying to download from the mirror site again, but before I
> do.

From the ODBC Datasource Administrator control panel applet, select the
System DSN tab. Now click the Add button. From the list, scroll down and
look for 'PostgreSQL'. If it is not there then the driver is not correctly
installed. If it is then select it and fill in the database name and server
name. Click the Driver button and ensure that Recognise Unique Indexes is
checked, and Read-Only is cleared. Click OK. Click the Datasource button.
Ensure that Read-Only is cleared and that both options in the OID Options
frame are checked. Click OK on all dialogues and then you should be able to
run pgAdmin.

>What is phgpgAdmin? Someone told me this tool and also
> pgAccess was suppose to work better than pgAdmin.

phppgAdmin is a similar tool written in PHP. pgAccess is similar to MS
Access. I will not comment on which products I think are better or worse,
they are just different. Suffice it to say, despite large numbers of pgAdmin
users, we get very few problems reported.

> Do you know anything about the two?
> The reason I ask is, we(my company) chose PostgreSQL over
> Oracle for a test database we want to hopefully turn over to
> production. My job as the DBA in my department is to create a
> database that could eventually be an internal website
> database that will keep track, and also keep a record of all
> the changes that our programmers do on a particular project.
> We are trying to eventually be able to send accepts and
> rejects from a project manager approval to resubmits. I was
> told that pgAdmin, as well as the other two tools were
> possible GUI tools that would help me to do this. I've
> already installed the PostgreSQL server database, and through
> a GUI called Putty, was able to connect to the server, which
> is running Linux, through my Windows interface and create a
> database within PostgreSQL called "chgrqst". Now that I have
> the database created through psql, I wanted to try and get
> fimilar with pgAdmin to help me implement changes, accepts,
> rejects, and re-submits from a submittor, programmer, and
> project manager perspective.
> Before I go into all this configuring for pgAdmin, is it
> really the tool I need?

Putty is an ssh client, and is merely a tool for securely logging onto a
remote system. I use it myself for logging on to remote servers.

pgAdmin is a suitable tool for creating, developing and maintaining
databases on PostgreSQL. You may find that our new version, pgAdmin II is
better suited to your needs though. It can be downloaded from
http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/ and is proving to be very stable (despite
being preview code) and offers support for objects such as Rules, Type,
Aggregates and Operators that pgAdmin doesn't. pgAdmin II also doesn't
require the use of DSN's. It will install the required ODBC driver with the
main program and only requires you to supply a username, password,
hostname/IP & port number to log on.

Regards, Dave.