Re: pgAdmin/ODBC errors.

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Contejean, TiJana'" <tijana(dot)contejean(at)wcg(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin/ODBC errors.
Date: 2001-09-05 07:12:05
Lists: pgsql-odbc

This file is used on *nix systems only. In Windows, the settings are stored
in the registry. You should not need to edit it to get things working.

> Also, how do I log
> onto your ftp site. It does not take anonymous logins, and
> the one I enter, which is my network password, doesn't work.
> Am I doing something wrong. I've even tried to use my
> username and use the password for the anonymous login.

I don't have an ftp site, so I can only think you mean ftp.postgresql.org
which is often busy and will refuse anonymous connections. As as said in my
previous email, try a mirror such as
http://sunsite.org.uk/Mirrors/ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/.

> I am
> thinking about just re-installing the original PostgreSQL
> Driverand see where that takes me.

The driver you had originally was the psqlodbc+ driver which is not the
official PostgreSQL driver. If you can't get that working, you'll need to
take it up with the maintainer - his site is on www.greatbridge.org.

> I've already found the
> driver path, now I just need to configure this .odbc.ini
> file. Also, you stated I didn't need the File DSN
> configured,but somehow it's not allowing me to access pgAdmi
> without it.

I wrote 90% of pgAdmin and can guarantee you that is *does not* require File
DSNs to work, or even have any code in it to allow them to be used at all.

> I still show the user and system dsn configured,
> everytime I pull up odbc Drivers in the control panel, but
> when I try to logon to pgAdmin, it doesn't even give me an
> option. If I go to the drop-down box, it's just empty,
> nothing to choose from. Is there something else I am not doing?

If the dropdown box is empty, then it means that the DSNs you have setup are
not using a recognised PostgreSQL ODBC driver. this usually happens when
people select 'SQL Server' or 'Oracle' or something when they create the DSN
instead of 'PostgreSQL'. Try using the New button on the logon dialogue and
let pgAdmin configure your DSN for you. There is a minor bug in that version
that means you may have to restart pgAdmin before you see any newly created
DSNs though.

Regards, Dave.