RE: [INTERFACES] pgAdmin v6.5.1 Release

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] pgAdmin v6.5.1 Release
Date: 1999-08-26 07:23:34
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thanks!

> 1.) You must have DCOM95 or DCOM98 installed, depending
> upon whether you
> are using Win95 or Win98;

I must remeber to add that one to the website. I keep forgetting about it
because it's part of my Visual Studio installation.

> 2.) You must install the MDAC 2.0 Redistributable Typical Install;

As stated on the site...

> 3.) You must have the latest PostODBC installed;

You shouldn't necessarily need the latest, although it is advisable. We
currently use and test with 6.40.0007.

> 4.) This setup program updates some system files -- you
> will have to run
> setup once, then reboot, then run setup AGAIN (this is a
> Win95 problem,
> not a pgAdmin problem, IMO);

It's not. Because we keep our development systems patched to the highest
level - currently Windows 98SE/Visual Studio 6 SP2, we often have newer
versions of some of the system files that are needed by Windows and the main
installation routine. This means that these files must be copied to
temporary names and then renamed on reboot to the correct name (remember the
'Please wait while Windows updates your systemsettings' message?). The
installer can then run correctly...

> 5.) You must set the PostODBC options properly -- go into
> 32-bit ODBC
> setup from Control Panel, select the appropriate datasource,
> select the
> Datasource button, uncheck Read-Only, Check both boxes under OID.
> Otherwise, you will get lots of errors.

This is the most common problem I (used to) get mailed about. pgAdmin now
does check your settings when the datasource is opened and will complain
about most problems.

> This is a great program -- particularly if you don't have
> Access. And,
> frankly, the available GUI programs under Linux are not quite as
> polished -- no offense to Constantin, as pgaccess is a great little
> tool, but it's not quite as polished.

Whilst pgAdmin was originally intended as a Win32 pgAccess, the two products
are now going in a radically different direction (I believe). Whilst
Constantin is working on user forms and building a 4GL tool (correct me if
I'm wrong here Constantin!), pgAdmin is moving towards providing complete
integration with the backend for administration and design usage. For
example, we are currently working on a Server Side library to overcome some
of the limitations of ODBC as well as interfacing with libpg.dll.

> All of the above installs add up to around 15MB of download, so give
> yourself plenty of time.

Of course if you already have MDAC2 and DCOM then the download is a shade
over 4MB. I would suggest getting pgAdmin first and then downloading the
other bits if you need them.

Thanks for your comments Lamar (and I really don't know him!),

Dave.

--
Dave Page, Network & Systems Manager, The Vale Housing Association Ltd.
http://www.vale-housing.co.uk (Work)