PostgreSQL 6.4.2 Install

From: "Gerry Smit" <GSmit(at)LOMBARD(dot)CA>
To: PGSQL-PORTS(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL 6.4.2 Install
Date: 1999-01-26 16:00:05
Lists: pgsql-ports

Hello. We're in the process of installing and evaluating PostgreSQL.
As per the INSTALL, step 29, here is the site and port information :

Installing : PostgreSQL 6.4.2
Onto : Solaris 2.6
Running on : Sparcstation 20 (during our development and testing)
Where : Lombard Insurance, Toronto Canada. (not that you asked
specifically)
Usage : Potential Back-End DB of Web-Enabled In-House Application.

Compile and Install : Slightly bumpy:
- we couldn't tell if the problem was with yacc or flex, so we
downloaded
a new GNU GCC compiler, downloaded Bison, and downloaded flex (the
latter
as per the INSTALL document). Once we had the new Bison and Flex
installed
the config and compile went clean. By the time we were finished, we
feel
we could download, install and compile any GNU-type application blind-
folded!

Our biggest assitance during these slight "bumps" was the FAQs on the web
site.
We saw enough problems similar to our compile problem that used either
Bison
or Flex work-arounds that we decided to do both.

Gerry Smit,
Senior Lead Programmer/Analyst,
Information Services, Sun Systems Development,
Lombard Canada, Toronto.