Re: New gist vacuum.

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Костя Кузнецов <chapaev28(at)ya(dot)ru>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: New gist vacuum.
Date: 2018-02-08 17:04:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Andrey,

On 2/7/18 10:46 AM, Andrey Borodin wrote:
>> 7 февр. 2018 г., в 18:39, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net> написал(а):
>>
>> Hi Andrey,
>>
>> On 1/21/18 5:34 AM, Andrey Borodin wrote:
>>> Hello, Alexander!
>>>
>>> Here's v2 version. Same code, but x2 comments. Also fixed important typo in readme BFS->DFS. Feel free to ping me any time with questions.
>>
>> This patch has not gotten review and does not seem like a good fit for
>> the last PG11 CF so I am marking it Returned with Feedback.
>
> Why do you think this patch does not seem good fit for CF?

Apologies for the brevity. I had about 40 patches to go through yesterday.

The reason it does not seem a good fit is that it's a new, possibly
invasive patch that has not gotten any review in the last three CFs
since it was reintroduced. I'm not sure why that's the case and I have
no opinion about the patch itself, but there it is.

We try to avoid new patches in the last CF that could be destabilizing
and this patch appears to be in that category. I know it has been
around for a while, but the lack of review makes it "new" in the context
of the last CF for PG11.

> I've been talking with Alexander just yesterday at PgConf.Russia, and he was going to provide review.

Great! I'd suggest you submit this patch for the CF after 2018-03.

However, that's completely up to you.

Regards,
--
-David