Re: On markers of changed data

From: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: On markers of changed data
Date: 2017-10-08 07:52:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom, Alvaro, Michael, and especially Septhen, thank you for your valuable comments.

I feel enlightened about mtime.
My takeaway is:
1. Any other marker would be better (It can be WAL scan during archiving, some new LSN-based mechanics* et c.)
2. mtime could be used, with precautions described by Stephen are taken.

But my other question still seems unanswered: can I use LSN logic for incrementing FSM and VM? Seems like most of the time there is valid LSN

* I like the idea of using something for both incr(diff) backups and VACUUM, it worth thinking about.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.