Re: Logfile created when not needed?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logfile created when not needed?
Date: 2006-09-24 17:48:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> If I configure log_destination='eventlog', and then
> redirect_stderr='on', PostgreSQL will attempt to create a logfile in
> pg_log anyway.

So don't do that --- redirect_stderr is only sensible to turn on if you
mean to use logging to stderr.

The reason we don't attempt to enforce this is that log_destination is
legal to change after startup, whereas we can't change redirect_stderr
on-the-fly (because existing backends wouldn't have their stderr tied to
the right place).

I'm not sure how sensible it really is to switch dynamically between
logging to stderr and logging someplace else, but as long as the code
can support that, why not allow it ...