Logfile created when not needed?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Logfile created when not needed?
Date: 2006-09-24 14:34:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Digging into several win32 related issues right now, so I don't have the
time to investigate ATM, but I figured I should get it out here:

If I configure log_destination='eventlog', and then
redirect_stderr='on', PostgreSQL will attempt to create a logfile in
pg_log anyway. This file remains empty (at least through my test), but
it is created, and if it fails to be created, the postmaster won't start
at all.

I may be missing something and there is a point to this, but if it's
never used it should probably not be created in the first place, should
it?

(I would assume the same thing happens if you set
log_destination='syslog', but haven't tested that)

//Magnus