Re: x = NULL

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Joe Conway" <joseph(dot)conway(at)home(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL Development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: x = NULL
Date: 2001-09-11 12:15:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > The x = NULL hack keeps biting people. Innocent people
> should not be
> > exposed to incorrect behaviour because of (supposed) MS Access
> > breakage. I strongly urge that we do one of the following:
> >
> > 1) Provide a tunable knob to turn this on (cf. KSQO)
> >
> > 2) Confine this to the ODBC driver somehow (which could be done via
> > #1)
> >
> > Actually, last time we discussed this there was some
> confusion whether
> > Access actually had the bug in question. That might be
> worth figuring
> > out.
> >

> A while back I tested Oracle and MSSQL7 for this -- neither
> support it. See: http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1021527
>
> I just checked MS Access 2000 -- it also returns no records
> on x = NULL versus the correct answer with x IS NULL, at
> least for a simple query. IIRC, someone mentioned that the
> original issue was limited to the use of filtered forms in
> Access, or something like that. But ISTM, that if neither
> Oracle nor even MSSQL support the syntax, then PostgreSQL
> should not either.

MSSQL supports =NULL syntax if you set ANSI_NULLS=OFF (can be set per
connection, and yuo can also specify which is default for a certain
database or installation).
I beleive that ANSI_NULLS=OFF was default in SQL Server <= 6.5, and
ANSI_NULLS=ON are default in >= 7.0.

And yes, if you create a Query with Access, it uses IS NULL / IS NOT
NULL. The issue was with filtered forms only.

//Magnus