Re: [BUGS] Build problem with CVS version

From: John Summerfield <summer(at)os2(dot)ami(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Build problem with CVS version
Date: 2001-09-11 13:08:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> John Summerfield writes:
>
> > I'd point out this from the INSTALL document:
> > --prefix=PREFIX
> >
> > Install all files under the directory PREFIX instead of
> > /usr/local/pgsql. The actual files will be installed into various
> > subdirectories; no files will ever be installed directly into the
> > PREFIX directory.
> >
> > If you have special needs, you can also customize the individual
> > subdirectories with the following options.
>
> But there are also exceptions listed at --with-perl and --with-python.
>
> > This is entirely consistent with the way other software that uses the
> > same configuration procedure.
>
> I am not aware of a package that installs general-purpose Perl/Python
> modules as well as items from outside of those environments.
>
> > I contend that if a user wants different behaviour the onus is on the
> > user to specify that.
>
> You're probably right, but I suspect that the majority of users rightly
> expect the Perl module to go where Perl modules usually go. This wouldn't

that isn't reasonable if the installer's not root, and I wasn't, for
the precise reason I didn't want to update the system.

> be such an interesting question if Perl provided a way to add to the
> module search path (cf. LD_LIBRARY_PATH and such), but to my knowledge
> there isn't a generally accepted one, so this issue would introduce an
> annoyance for users.

from 'man perlrun'
PERL5LIB A colon-separated list of directories in which to look
for Perl library files
before looking in the standard library and the
current directory. Any architec-
ture-specific directories under the specified
locations are automatically
included if they exist. If PERL5LIB is not defined,
PERLLIB is used.

When running taint checks (either because the
program was running setuid or set-
gid, or the -T switch was used), neither variable is
used. The program should
instead say:

There are several other environment variables.

> Surely the current behaviour is an annoyance too, making the whole issue a
> rather unpleasant subject. ;-)
>
> Well, as soon as I come up with a name for the install-where-I-tell-you-to
> option, I'll implement it.

The current behaviour makes it difficult to have two versions on one
computer.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my
disposition.