Packages: Again

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Packages: Again
Date: 2017-01-11 18:57:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

-hackers,

I know we have talked about this before but today it was impressed upon
me rather firmly. I presented a Webinar: Postgres for Oracle People. The
attendees were 90% pl/pgsql developers. 330 people registered for an
event that was only allowed to host 100 people. The webinar went on for
2 hours. (it was only scheduled for one hour, that is how interactive it
was)

By far the tagline of this webinar from attendees was, "We can not port
without packages"

So this is a reality. If we want tried and true Oracle developers to
port to PostgreSQL, we must provide some level of package capability.

There are some that would say we don't need them. You are right, we
don't need them. We should however want them if we want to continue to
stomp through the business sector and continue growth.

I use this post to inspire conversation on how we can get this done.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. http://the.postgres.company/