Retiring support for pre-7.3 FK constraint triggers

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Retiring support for pre-7.3 FK constraint triggers
Date: 2020-03-05 13:38:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

While looking at the tg_updatedcols patch I happened to notice that we still
support pre-7.3 constraint triggers by converting them on the fly. AFAICT this
requires a pre-7.3 dump to hit.

This was added in late 2007 in a2899ebdc28080eab0f4bb0b8a5f30aa7bb31a89 due to
a report from the field, but I doubt this codepath is excercised much today (if
at all).

Having code which is untested and not excercised by developers (or users, if my
assumption holds), yet being reachable by SQL, runs the risk of introducing
subtle bugs. Is there a usecase for keeping it, or can/should it be removed in
14? That would still leave a lot of supported versions to upgrade to in case
there are users to need this. Unless there are immediate -1's, I'll park this
in a CF for v14.

cheers ./daniel

Attachment Content-Type Size
remove_pre73_fks.patch application/octet-stream 10.6 KB