Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences
Date: 2022-02-22 23:39:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/19/22 06:33, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2022 at 7:48 AM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> Do we need to handle both FOR ALL TABLES and FOR ALL SEQUENCES at the
>> same time? That seems like a reasonable thing people might want.
>>

> +1. That seems reasonable to me as well. I think the same will apply
> to FOR ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA and FOR ALL SEQUENCES IN SCHEMA.

It already works for "IN SCHEMA" because that's handled as a publication
object, but FOR ALL TABLES and FOR ALL SEQUENCES are defined directly in
CreatePublicationStmt.

Which also means you can't do ALTER PUBLICATION and change it to FOR ALL
TABLES. Which is a bit annoying, but OK. It's a bit weird FOR ALL TABLES
is mentioned in docs for ALTER PUBLICATION as if it was supported.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company