Re: [HACKERS] Can ICU be used for a database's default sort order?

From: Marius Timmer <marius(dot)timmer(at)uni-muenster(dot)de>
To: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Can ICU be used for a database's default sort order?
Date: 2019-02-27 16:32:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Andrey,

we would like to see ICU collations become the default for entire
databases as well. Therefore we would also review the patch.
Unfortunately your Patch from late October does not apply on the current
master.

Besides of that I noticed the patch applies on master of October but
results in errors when compiling without "--with-icu" and executing
"make check-world":
> libpq.so: Warning: undefined reference to »get_collprovider_name«
> libpq.so: Warning: undefined reference to
»is_valid_nondefault_collprovider«
> libpq.so: Warning: undefined reference to »get_collprovider«

May be caused by your last modification:
> I've added LDFLAGS_INTERNAL += $(ICU_LIBS) in libpq, but I'm not
> entirely sure this is correct way to deal with complaints on ICU
> functions from libpq linking.

Best regards,

Marius Timmer

--
Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU)
Zentrum für Informationsverarbeitung (ZIV)