Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>
Cc: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-06-05 15:29:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On 06/05/2018 07:45 AM, Chris Travers wrote:

> It is my hope that PostgreSQL.Org -Core chooses members for that
> committee that are exceedingly diverse otherwise it is just an echo
> chamber for a single ideology and that will destroy this community.
>

> If I may suggest:  The committee should be international as well and
> include people from around the world.  The last thing we want is for it
> to be dominated by people from one particular cultural viewpoint.

+1

> "considered offensive by fellow members"
>
> Is definitely too broad. The problem comes in here:
>
> I might possibly say that "I'm the master in this area" when
> talking to someone on a technical subject.  In the sense that
> I'm better at that particular skill, but some hypersensitive
> American could get their knickers in a twist (notice, that in
> this context, no gender is implied -- also in using that that
> expression "get their knickers in a twist" could offend some
> snowflake) claiming that I'm suggesting that whoever
>

> "snowflake", I find that term hilarious others find it highly
> offensive. Which is correct?
>

> I agree with both concerns in the above exchange.
>
> This is an economic common project.  The goal should be for people to
> come together and act civilly.  Waging culture war using the code of
> conduct itself should be a violation of the code of conduct and this
> goes on *all* (not just one or two) sides.

[snip]

> Yes and that is a problem. We need to have some simple barrier of
> acceptance that we are all adults here (or should act like adults).
> Knowing your audience is important.
>

> I would point out also that the PostgreSQL community is nice and
> mature.  At PGConf US I saw what appeared to be two individuals with red
> MAGA hats.  And yet everyone managed to be civil.  We manage to do
> better than the US does on the whole in this regard and we should be
> proud of ourselves.

To be fair, those were South Africans but yes, nobody gave them any
public grief as far as I know.

> Correct. I think one way to look at all of this is, "if you wouldn't
> say it to your boss or a client don't say it here". That too has
> problems but generally speaking I think it keeps the restrictions
> rational.
>

> I will post a more specific set of thoughts here but in general I think
> the presumption ought to be that people are trying to work together.
> Misunderstanding can happen.  But let's try to act in a collegial and
> generally respectful way around eachother.

+1

JD

*** A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is. ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
***** Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own. *****