Re: (offtopic) ISO certificates

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Adrian Maier" <adrian(dot)maier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: (offtopic) ISO certificates
Date: 2006-09-26 07:37:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Adrian,

please have a look at http://pypy.org/

PyPy is financed by the EU commission, and they sureley have no certificate.
Beatrice During from Changemaker has done lots of the EU negotiations, if
you need a personal contact let me know.

On the other hand: PostgreSQL complies to ISO standards. Compliance to xxx%
to the ISO of SQL99, yyy% to the ISO of SQL2003 (it's stated within the
documentation somewhere)

> I am tempted to answer that we are not ISO certified. And to explain
> that we will probably never have such a certificate because in an
> opensource
> project it is not possible to force everyone to work according to some
> strict procedures .

Hm. PostgreSQL complies to very very strict procedures: there are regression
test for big chunks of PostgreSQL. The acceptance process of patches is also
highly structured.
It's more a question to find somebody to document and certify this; but if
he is talking big money, that "certificat" would be a cheap aspect.

Harald
--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare