Re: R: How to move a DB from one server to another...

From: Harald Armin Massa <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Federico Simonetti (Etheye)" <flame(at)etheye(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: R: How to move a DB from one server to another...
Date: 2005-06-23 10:13:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Federico,

> Of course we could use SQL (CREATE DATABASE, CREATE TABLE, INSERT
> INTO....)
> but this would take years on large databases, while a rough "copy this
> folder to the new server" would take just a few seconds.

I do copys of databases every other day. pg_dump and pg_restore work like a
breeze on databases with around 1 gig of stuff, and I do not even use the
binary format and use intermediate files.

Where ist the performance bottleneck you are speaking of?

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuasion python postgresql