Re: How to move a DB from one server to another...

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <flame(at)etheye(dot)com>
Cc: <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to move a DB from one server to another...
Date: 2005-06-23 11:47:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

First, your mailer's habit of putting "R:" instead of the standard "Re:" at
the front of replies is annoying. You need to fix it.

Second, of course pg_restore works on Windows. The most common mistakes in
using pg_dump/pg_restore (on all platforms) are:
. not using pg_dump from the target version, and
. trying to use pg_restore rather than psql to restore a text format dump.

I suggest you try using pg_dump -F c on your Windows machine to dump the
remote db and then try pg_restore on the result to load your copy. If that
gives you trouble then tell us *precisely* what the trouble is.

cheers

andrew