Re: Function to promote standby servers

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Function to promote standby servers
Date: 2018-10-08 17:36:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> Maybe the patch needs regression tests for the new function. And I'd
> suggest to make the function name more clear by changing to
> pg_promote_server(), pg_promote_standby() and so on.

Thanks for the review.

The attached patch has regression tests - I though it would be good
to change some of the existing tests that run standby promotion to
use the SQL function instead of pg_ctl.

I have left the name though -- as far as I can tell, "promote" has
no other meaning in PostgreSQL than standby promotion, and I believe
it is only good to be more verbose if that avoids confusion.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-pg_promote-to-promote-standby-servers-V3.patch text/x-patch 8.9 KB