Re: PostgreSQL 12, JIT defaults

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 12, JIT defaults
Date: 2018-10-08 17:41:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I am thinking so simple number should be good enough. We can require
>> equality - Just I need a signal so some is wrong - better than Postgres
>> crash.

> It'd cause constant conflicts and / or we would regularly forget updating it. It's not that trivial to determine what influences ABI compatibility.

There already is a PG major-version-number check embedded in the
PG_MODULE_MAGIC infrastructure, which is plenty for regular users.
It's not sufficient for developers working with HEAD, of course.

We could consider making that work off of catversion instead, but I don't
think it'd really improve matters to do so. catversion doesn't cover most
of what can break loadable modules, such as changes of Node data
structures.