Re: Amcheck: do rightlink verification with lock coupling

From: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Amcheck: do rightlink verification with lock coupling
Date: 2020-07-20 18:46:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

> 23 янв. 2020 г., в 00:59, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> написал(а):
>
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 5:43 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
>> I tried to come up with a specific example of how this could be
>> unsafe, but my explanation was all over the place (this could have had
>> something to do with it being Friday evening). Even still, it's up to
>> the patch to justify why it's safe, and that seems even more
>> difficult.
>
> I can't see a way around this problem, so I'm marking the patch rejected.

In this thread [0] we decided that lock coupling is necessary for btree_xlog_unlink_page().
So, maybe let's revive this patch?

Thanks!

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.

[0] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAH2-Wzm7T_O%2BVUeo7%3D_NGPncs08z3JEybEwVLZGaASnbfg5vDA%40mail.gmail.com#a4ef597251fed0eb5c2896937bdbd0cc