Re: pg_restore cannot restore function

From: Jie Liang <jie(at)stbernard(dot)com>
To: 'Jan Wieck' <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Jie Liang <jie(at)stbernard(dot)com>
Cc: 'Bruce Momjian' <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "'admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore cannot restore function
Date: 2002-07-03 19:03:27
Lists: pgsql-patches pgsql-sql

OK, we figured it out.
The problem is the documentation confused me!!!
In man page of pg_restore:
-P function-name
--function=function name
Specify a procedure or function to be restored.

User will assume that syntax of restoring a function is same as
restoring a table, but it's not true, it's slightly different.
To restore a table:
pg_restore -Rxt mytable -d mydb2 dbf
works, but to restore a function:
pg_restore -P myfunction -d mydb2 dbf
won't work, and you need to use:
pg_restore -P "\"myfunction\" (args and type)" -d mydb2 dbf
to make it work!!!!!

I believe that the man page of pg_restore should be improved.

Thanks.

Jie Liang