Re: Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Rob Napier" <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help me improve the 9.2 release announcement!
Date: 2012-08-07 22:31:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>>> As for the WeirdNewTypes, it needs a simple lo-tech way of
>>> explaining it. Maybe a short, simple example of how it is
>>> applied.
>>
>> "CoolNewTypes"
>>
>> Weird implies well wierd, they aren't weird, they are cool, hot,
>> nifty, rocking.
>
> Yeah, if we need to punch just two points, with the ability to
> elaborate a little, I would say performance (with emphasis on being
> able to scale well to larger volumes and big new hardware) and new
> types to simplify life for application programmers (JSON and
> ranges).
>
> JSON is all the rage with web-oriented programmers. There is a
> group of people for whom there pretty much couldn't be bigger
> PostgreSQL news than this feature. When we get to the day that we
> have an HTTP access method that provides a "RESTful" interface to
> database data through JSON, the web programmmers here will probably
> throw a big party over how easy we've made their work. 9.2 doesn't
> take it all the way there, but it is a giant leap in that direction,
> which will cause some jaws to drop around here.

From a marketing perspective, touting the JSON support will definitely get some more eyeballs from the web community. Being in the web in the "web-oriented programmer" category myself, if I were to further look into the 9.2 JSON support, I would come away wondering what the "hype" is with it as, on a functional basis, it just ensures that I store valid JSON in the database. If I had to do any more serious data processing on evaluation and would prefer to do it at the database level, I would look at another data source.

As I said before, I'm glad Postgres is starting to have JSON support (I've randomly bugged people for it through the years :-), but we do need to make sure we point out our strengths.

> On the other hand, I suspect that ranges will get wider adoption,
> because there are so many places that they make existing queries
> simpler and faster, regardless of whether you are web-oriented. The
> obvious applications are related to scheduling, but I suspect it
> will be put to many other uses.

+1 and especially for a "web-oriented developer, " once you understand what ranges can do, you suddenly have a lot of very fast querying options :-) For instance, just about anything involving a "slider" UI element that on a web page that goes into a search can be turned into a range query. At the end of the day, most web-developers care about speed and simple ways to extract performance out of the tools they are using.

Jonathan